Popular Posts

Thursday 2 July 2015

Canada Day Barbie

Canada Day Barbie
I acknowledge that being born is Canada is like winning a  lottery but I abhor jingoism  and I cringe when people 'wave the flag'.  South of the border, people seem to be much more comfortable with expressing their patriotism.

I was in a wonderful jazz restaurant in the U.S. once and the final number before the break was a medley of songs including America, the Beautiful and It's a Grand Old Flag.  The audience stood with their hands on their hearts, deep in the moment.  I had to leave.  My status as guest in the country had been overwritten and I had become an alien.

That being said,  every year on Canada Day,  Barbie and I wear red and white.  No temporary tattoos or flags painted on the forehead are allowed, but we do acknowledge the day with a certain sartorial flair.


No comments:

Post a Comment