Popular Posts

Thursday 4 December 2014

On the 1st Day of Christmas Barbie

On the 1st Day of Christmas Barbie
I wanted to see how a skirt with godets would look on Barbie.  It undulates and I keep thinking I should put a wire in it to better define the shape but then it might make Barbie dizzy.

Be that as it may, Barbie likes to sit in front of the tree with a crackling fire in the fireplace and watch the snow fall softly onto the quiet, moonlit street.  She also likes to open presents.  My mother loved opening presents.  She loved to fondle them, shake them, heft them and try to guess what was inside.
I flew home from university one Christmas with a suitcase full of gifts.  Mom was at the door to greet me when I arrived.  "Let me unpack your bag.  I'm sure you have laundry to do.  I'll start washing it now."

Nice try.  My mother hadn't done my laundry for me in years.  She just wanted to see her gift.  I caught her peering under my bed the next day.   "Vacuuming", she said.  "Snooping", I answered.

I was way ahead of her anyway.  All that week, in secret, she fondled a gift I'd wrapped for my brother.   A gift I'd wrapped for my brother, but with her name on it.

3 comments:

  1. What a nice memory to read about!!
    KH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog introduces me to new sewing terms. I had to google godet. I like the repeating trim in this ensemble, and the dramatic flair of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Many of those "mermaid" bridal gowns have godets. You can shape the skirt pieces like a trumpet for the same effect but this is easier.

    ReplyDelete